Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

I did it! Im going to Hengelo and Amsterdam!

There is no turning back now.

Today, I bought my plane ticket to head off to the Netherlands in March. As I write this, my stomach is in knots!

Here are my fears:
1. Being 4000 miles away from my husband for 9 days: Side note, we have not spent this much time apart since he moved away to college when I was still in high school.
2. Flying over the ocean. (Well flying in general)
3. Going to a new country
4. The plane crashing
5. Immersing myself in a new culture
6. Did I mention flying?
7. Being Lonely and homesick

Here's whats exciting!
1. Taking a risk: I am not a risk taker by any means. I avoid anything dangerous at most costs. This being said, going to a different country, without my husband, is the biggest risk I have ever taken.
2. Visiting somewhere completely new and different
3. Pot.. haha just kidding, but really its legal over there..thats craziness to me! (Dont worry I have never, and never plan to do drugs)
4. The possibility of visiting Germany for a day: My heritage is German and I have always wanted to go and visit.
5. Attempting to learn some dutch. (its a very odd language)
6: Meeting my host family: I will be staying with a family for the week and they will kind of be like surrogate parents to me while Im there. I love connecting with new people and can't wait!
7. Traveling outside the country for the first time.
8. Learning about what a school counselor does in the Netherlands.
9. Bringing back fun trinkets for everyone. I love souvenirs.
10. Taking lots and lots of pictures!
11. Enjoying this once in a lifetime experience.

So there ya go. Obviously the pros completely outweigh the cons, I just have to get over my anxiety about it and remember that God has his plan laid out for me. If I were to die in a plane crash, thats because that was his plan and I cannot change that.

Im trying to trust Him more, and worry less.. We will see how that goes! Im so thankful for Him giving me this opportunity and for my husband who is sacrificing so that I can go. He is so much less selfish than I am. He is worried, but he is being so supportive, I just wish there was a way for him to come with me.

No comments: