Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Running

So, as some of you know, I restarted the C25K program (for those who don't, google couch to 5k and you will see what I'm talking about). This time I am running with a friend. Let me tell you, running with a friend has made a lot of difference in how far I've gotten with this program. No longer can I just decide I don't want to run today because Dorothy and I have already made plans to run. Also, as we are running I don't stop because I'm tired, I keep going. Running is very mental and having support really helps me in that area.

Anyways, I'm writing this entry as I wait for Dorothy so we can go run week 4 day 2. This week is much harder than the rest. We have begun running 1/2 miles. This doesn't sound like much to many of you, but to me its a lot. I do not know if I have run 1/2 since middle school, even then I'm pretty sure I walked some of it.

This program has gotten me thinking a lot about perseverance. How do we keep going when things get tough? This is especially hard for me. For certain areas of my life I can keep going through the tough times. This happens with friendships, marriage, and school. For some unknown reason to me, I have the darndest time stepping outside of my comfort zone and doing anything physical that pushes my limits.

Well, I finished my run today. Accidentally lost 30 seconds on the last run, but I know I could have kept going.

So I'll keep pushing along... all the way to 3 miles!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I'm so proud of you! Running with a friend is one of the best things ever, you end up bonding in a totally new way. Seriously, you better tell me you run a 5k. I'll be out in full force with glittery signs and a home made t-shirt to cheer you on.