Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Two for One

Today you get two recipes for the price of one!
Initially, I had thought of posting these two yummy creations in two separate posts. However, I decided in the honor of brevity and simplicity I would just combine them. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like cake and pizza! (Well, i guess my husband doesn't like cake, but he likes this one!)

Lets start with the pizza. Although, you should be thinking about the cake. Oh, the cake. Ok. Pizza first.

This recipe came from Emi, one of my friends. We went over to their house for dinner one night and she had set up an area for us to make our own pizzas. I thought it was so clever that I had to steal the idea!

This weekend my mom and brother came down from fort wayne and it gave me a great excuse to make these pizzas. I prepped the dough, set out the toppings, and we made our own special little creations! It was actually really fun. Each pizza reflected each person. I'm the healthy eater so mine was loaded with veggies. My mother loves cheese, and made that clear with her pizza. Hubby loves his meat and he made sure he put a lot on. My brother loves simple cheese, mushroom, and pepperoni pizza.
I forgot to take pictures, but here are the end results!



Recipe for the Pizza Dough:
Whisk 3 3/4 C flour with 1 1/2 tsp salt.
Make a well and add 1 1/3 C warm water, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 packet yeast
When foamy mix in 3 T olive oil/

Do this all in your kitchen aid mixer with the dough hook attachment. Knead on low to med low for 3-5 minutes or until the dough looks smooth and has come together in a ball. Brush with olive oil and cover with a wet towel or napkin in a bowl. Let rise until doubled (about 1.5 hours)
Divide into 2 1 pound balls. Use 1lb per pizza. (If making personal pizzas I think you can get away with using 1/2 lb)

Top with desired toppings and bake at 500 on a preheated pan for 15-20 minutes.

Now, what you've been waiting for. Yep, it's time. Cake!

I fell in love with this cake in college. It was a shoemaker staple and all of us women looked forward to the days that we would get this delightful treat.

I do think I ought to warn you all. This cake is r-i-c-h rich! It probably has about 1000 calories per slice, but it is oh so good! So good in fact that it has a pretty funny name.

Better than Sex Cake, let me tell you, it may not be better than sex, but it's pretty close!

Here are some pictures. You've been warned.

Recipe:

1 box chocolate cake mix (I use devils food)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 jar caramel topping
1 C heath bar topping
1 container cool whip

Bake the cake according to package directions. While it is still warm poke a bunch of holes in it. I used a chop stick, a toothpick doesn't get them big enough for all of the goodness to soak in. Next, pour on the sweetened condensed milk.


Once that has some time to soak in, its time for the next step. Pour the caramel sauce all over the top. Stare in amazement.






Refrigerate until cool. Then before serving top with cool whip and heath bar pieces. Try not to eat it, wait... you need to share it, right?! Serve up cold and yummy!




No comments: