Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall in love with fall

I adore fall. I don't even know if the word adore captures just how I feel about fall. I am ecstatic about it. Hot tea, colorful leaves, sweaters, fall spice desserts and baked goods, football, cool breezes, and the crisp autumn smell in the air are just a few of the things I love about fall. Just imagine this: your taking a nice stroll through a park holding hands with your husband. You look around and see hues of orange, red, brown, and yellow. As you walk the leave rustle about and crackle underneath your feet. You snuggle into your husband's side as you walk thanks to the slight chill in the air. Ahhh, that's autumn.

In honor of kicking off the fall season I had to bake! I think bakerella is going to start seeing a trend if she ever looks at my blog, considering I keep making what she posts. I cannot take much credit for this cake, but boy was it amazing. I think I will have a little leftover piece for dessert tonight.

Easy Apple Cake

first you will need ingredients.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
I added 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (next time I'm using 1/2 applesauce, 1/2 oil)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups diced apples (I used gala)
1 cup chopped dates rolled in flour
1 cup chopped walnuts

Then you need to make it!

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon with a wire whisk and set aside.
  • Combine sugar and oil using a mixer until blended.
  • Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
  • Add flour mixture and mix well.
  • Stir in nuts, dates and apples. The batter will be very thick.
  • Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
  • Cool cake and using a skewer, poke holes in cake.
  • Cook topping ingredients on stove until mixture bubbles.
  • Pour topping over cake letting some (ha… more if you like) seep into the cake.




I am kind of sad I forgot to take pictures of it with the topping. Oh the topping, I am surprised I didn't go into a sugar coma!

Mmmm, who doesn't love apple cake with a caramel like topping on a cold day :)

Not only did I make cake to celebrate fall, but I finally made a wreath! I have been wanting one for a couple of years but they are so stinkin' expensive (80 at hobby lobby!) So, I decided to put my flower arranging class to good use and made my own for a whopping $23! I could have probably even gone cheaper than that. Now, I love walking in my front door :)




1 comment:

Mindy said...

LOVE IT! When I come home next fall can you help me make a wreath?