In honor of kicking off the fall season I had to bake! I think bakerella is going to start seeing a trend if she ever looks at my blog, considering I keep making what she posts. I cannot take much credit for this cake, but boy was it amazing. I think I will have a little leftover piece for dessert tonight.
Easy Apple Cake
first you will need ingredients.
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
I added 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (next time I'm using 1/2 applesauce, 1/2 oil)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups diced apples (I used gala)
1 cup chopped dates rolled in flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
Then you need to make it!
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon with a wire whisk and set aside.
- Combine sugar and oil using a mixer until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Stir in nuts, dates and apples. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
- Cool cake and using a skewer, poke holes in cake.
- Cook topping ingredients on stove until mixture bubbles.
- Pour topping over cake letting some (ha… more if you like) seep into the cake.
I am kind of sad I forgot to take pictures of it with the topping. Oh the topping, I am surprised I didn't go into a sugar coma!
Mmmm, who doesn't love apple cake with a caramel like topping on a cold day :)
Not only did I make cake to celebrate fall, but I finally made a wreath! I have been wanting one for a couple of years but they are so stinkin' expensive (80 at hobby lobby!) So, I decided to put my flower arranging class to good use and made my own for a whopping $23! I could have probably even gone cheaper than that. Now, I love walking in my front door :)